The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Reuben Weekend


As everyone in the nation is no doubt aware, this weekend is the National Cartoonists Society's annual Reuben Award Convention Thing, and it's being held here (above) at the Hyatt Jersey City, somewhere off the coast of Manhattan. And look (below) they've got a boat in case you want to leave!


I'm going to the Reubens in Jersey this year 1, to see friends I never otherwise set eyes on; and 2, 
because I'm up for the Reuben Award (below).


Every year the NCS bestows the Reuben Award, named for Rube Goldberg, on the Cartoonist of the Year. This year they've run short of names so I'm a nominee, along with two other, more deserving cartoonists, Dan Piraro and Stephan Pastis. Not only does the winner get the lovely ornamental statue, also scultpted by Rube Goldberg, but he (or she) evidently gets a set of dinner plates too (I make this joke every damn year and so far nobody's laughed). Goldberg supposedly planned his tumbling dwarves to be the base for a table lamp, but it somehow got reconfigured into a trophy. I don't think the ink bottle on top actually works, which is a shame because who wouldn't be inspired, overawed or just terrified into drawing better by using this massive objet as an inkwell? 

 

To get to Jersey City, you get on a train and get off at the stop just before Manhattan. I'm hoping I'm not the only one there because all the photos I've found of the hotel so far seem utterly devoid of life.






Updates if possible as they become available. 

26 comments:

fritzoid said...

Really, it's an honor just to be nominated.

(*hurmmm*)

WOO-HOO!! R!T! R!T! R!T! R!T!

Never say die, until they carry you out of the banquet hall on your shield.

Unknown said...

Ive told you what I would say! You are deserving R.T. You are one of the best storytellers in the history of comic strips.
Reubens and Local Asheville brew in CLT!

The hotel looks so cold... This better not be a joke that Pastis is doing!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephen said...

I think the award would make an interesting murder weapon in a Columbo episode.

I did laugh at the dinner plates, after I double checked the picture, but was too busy rethinking lifeless brochure pictures.

David said...

Good luck Richard!

Neil J Murphy said...

Best of luck this weekend. I wish you all could win, but my money's on you.

joe said...

Break a leg, Richard! (seriously - go in and break somebody's leg, right in front of the judges. I hear this is a big tradition in New Jersey)

gilda92 said...

Bon courage, Richard Thompson

Barbara L. Hanson said...

Good luck, it would be a much-deserved honor! I'll look in the direction of Jersey City's Hotel Desertion and wave a hello to you from Manhattan.

Unknown said...

Wishing you lots of good luck!

-from your humble colorist

Brian said...

Yes, the others are talented.
Yes, the others are prior nominees.
BUT - YOU DESERVE THIS!
I really hope, wish and pray that you win!

paul bowman said...

What you deserve is a lifetime achievement award or two. But why not a Reuben to go with it?

fritzoid said...

Neither those who voted for Piraro last year nor those who voted for Pastis were enough to put them over the top, so why should this year be different? If all those who voted against either last year do the same this year, Richard wins.

I've run extensive number-crunching simulations (the formulae are too complicated to get into here), and they all point to the Reuben ending up on a shelf in Arlington...

Jesse Cline said...

Good luck Richard!!

And thank you for an entire week of Kevin comics!!!

Mike Peterson said...

I look to awards as a way to confirm my own taste, so I really hope you win, because otherwise I'll probably have to stop reading the strip. I'm sure you understand.

(PS -- Plaques are for haques. Unless you win, in which case you should sit out the preseason cartooning sessions until they give you a new contract.)

Unknown said...

Mike,
You are right!We can start a blog called:
"we use to read Cul de Sac"

I feel pretty sure that everyone knows CDS is the best thing since ice water.

Im going to quit the NCS if R.T. isnt the winner!
now I feel like I should join the NCS so I can make good on my threat!

You rock R.T.!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck Mr. Thompson! I'm rooting for you.

Unknown said...

Go Richard, Go!

I'm with Chris, I'm going to join the NCS just so I can quit in protest... if they're too stupid to give it to you.

Barbara L. Hanson said...

Why, oh, why isn't anyone (not a nominee, of course, but someone) live blogging the Reubens?

Barbara L. Hanson said...

Being live tweeted by art4mad.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barbara L. Hanson said...

Oh, rats.

Anonymous said...

Mr. T: It would have been great if you'd won, but you're still the creator of Cul de Sac, which in my view is better than having a stack of Reubens :D

gilda92 said...

Imagination = other voices, other rooms. But yours is still The Best!

Ted Dawson said...

Dinner plates! LOL!

kanishk said...

Great strip! I hope you guys can get things sorted ^_^

Adsense Alternative