The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Winter Pageant

I'm posting this  just because I like it. My favorite part is the tangle of typography to show that Nara and Alice are not too well in sync, but I like the scrape of the snow shovel too. We just had 20.5 inches dumped on us in under 24 hours, so I've heard that scrape a lot without actually participating in it (my thanks to Amy and Lars and to Andy Hemmindinger, who showed up with a snow blower!). And, in case you missed it in the comments section, here's Paul's completion of the Winter Jewels ditty-

"We are Winter's jewels,
Dancing through the air,
We filter out pollution
To deposit everywhere.

Just stop what you are doing,
And admire our symmetry,
Our awesome shining whiteness and our
Hexagonality.

We muck around with traffic,
And disarrange your day,
We bring the gift of frostbite
And an exuse for kids to play

Games like "snowball down the collar,"
And "hit the passing cars."
And "decorate the snowman
With Dad's finest choice cigars."

We provide a chance to shovel:
There's no time for being bored.
Remember, Mother Nature
Doesn't like to be ignored."

4 comments:

Doc Shaner said...

I love that third panel, because of both Alice's "Hi Mommy!" and the shoveling. This has been a great little series.

Miguel said...

I loved the series - the parents' reactions were brilliant. Thanks for so many laughs this week (and all others).

Mike Rhode said...

Yeah, Cathy and I loved it. She just said this morning how much she liked it, when Claire opened her Cul de Sac v2 book.

Jym said...

=v= Yes, loved the whole series. Sad that I had to read it in GoComics teeny-weeny size, but my stupid local newspaper doesn't know how to carry a good comic strip.