The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Today's Cul de Sac, March 14 to 20, 2011

 I look forward to drawing Andre playing soccer.
 This keeps happening to Petey, like maybe twice a year.
 Leaving unfinished jokes lying around means you can bring them back again and pretend you've accomplished an actual punchline.
 And I keep drawing this somewhat sinister playground.
 I'd like to make the playground an actual character. Here it looks a bit like Howl's Moving Castle, which if you haven't seen you should.
 Take that, singing cartoon animals.
This  is not too different from the way I work sometimes. When stuck for an idea I've often contemplated cutting up old strips, strewing them all over the floor and mixing & matching them until they seem to make sense. Or I'll just bring back the tiny missing clown.

3 comments:

Faff said...

"SINGING ANIMAL CARTOONS TAKE THAT" Don't forget the horror that is, the Barbie animated movies. A lack of pointless violence and slapstick is destroying our children.

Linette Moore said...

I bet the tiny clown is driving that peripatetic playground.

Unknown said...

@mabrndt noted that the video it points to is no longer available; the trailer is at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UibodUGoL4M