The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Blondie

Five years ago the comic strip Blondie celebrated 75 years of the Bumstead's wedded Bliss, and had a huge crossover party with I think thousands of comic characters. This was before my time, comic strip-wise, so I could only add to the festivities tangentially. This was hard to draw as Blondie is so cleanly rendered, with every curl in place and every curve just so. It made me feel sloppy and hamfisted.


This year will mark their 80th, which is pretty much off the charts as far as traditional gift giving goes. I'd suggest an antique, or something fossilized. But nice!

4 comments:

chris said...

Laughing wayyy tooo much a the cheese Shop! That is pure genius! HAHAHA! Thank you for the laugh!

Lesley Vamos said...

I like sloppy and misfitted ^_^

Mike Peterson said...

Ah, yes, I remember it well. I did a big promotion leading up to the anniversary, including finding a way to run it nearly full page (sideways) in our Sunday funnies. By the time the big day came, I was getting a little burned out and ready for a laugh and there you were.

Of course, you try to describe this old timey stuff to Alice and she just looks at you, while Petey waits for you to stop talking so he can go back to his room.

Muzition said...

This strip is 70 shades of awesome.