The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Sunday, September 14, 2008

What Lies Beneath

Yesterday's Cul de Sac had some synchronicity with yesterday's Almanac cartoon, like they were almost the same joke. I didn't plan it that way, unless it was subconsciously, and when I realized they'd meshed I was a little tickled. Embarrassed too, because now it's obvious I've got only a few ideas in rotation and here they've collided.



The Almanac (above) was a retooling of one from 8 or 9 years ago (below). I didn't find the older one till a day after I turned in the newer version, though you can tell I remembered it pretty vividly. I might try doing newruns of old stuff and hope nobobdy recalls them distinctly enough to complain; I'll just white-out dated references and such to make it more germane.

5 comments:

Robert Gidley said...

Oh Lynn, look what you've started. Now everybody's doing newruns.

Mike Rhode said...

I noticed it, and thought it was pretty funny. It was like a tie-in just for Post readers.

here today, gone tomorrow said...

I LOVE that you included the 17-year cicadas and Bugs Bunny's route to Pizmo beach! Awesome!

arcticcircle said...

I loved both these cartoons and they reminded me of a book I read once about Underground London. Not just the Tube, but the secret tunnels, the creaking Victorian sewage system, the post office chutes. Fascinating and nearly as interesting as the fiction.

Freddy Letrange said...

I expect soon we will see Lio reading a "Petey" comic book...