The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Today's Poor Almanack


Thanks for this must go to faithful correspondent Here Today Gone Tomorrow, who requested a cartoon about the miles of temporary fencing along the George Washington Parkway. The GW Parkway runs along the Potomac on the Virginia side. It's a wonderfully scenic drive, running from the Beltway to Mount Vernon, and every Fourth of July its length that affords a good view of DC is jam-packed with fireworks watchers. To keep the fireworks watchers from blundering onto the busy Parkway the Park Service puts up temporary fences.
I was tickled to see a large photo on the front of today's Metro section of a stiltwalking neighborhood parade Uncle Sam. Just hope he didn't get stuck up there.

7 comments:

Mrs. Denneldoff said...

Amen about the fireworks--there's nothing like gritting my teeth, waiting for the next door neighbors' 10:38 roman candle to waken my sleeping child. Argh!

here today, gone tomorrow said...

Outstanding!! Thank you; you exceeded my expectations!

Rex Immensae Majestatis Chapman said...

Wait - we can request cartoons?

Mark Anderson said...

Ugh... Leftover fireworks are the bane of my existence... Double ugh!

randy said...

My reaction to those random pops long after the 4th has evolved from "Ooo, firecrackers are illegal in the city!" to "They still have fireworks? Wow, their self-control is amazing!"

Stacy Curtis said...

I think someone in our neighborhood gave up on firecrackers and was using dynamite.

Now all I can think about is potato salad. Yummy!!

Mike Rhode said...

Man, I'm still eating the potato salad...