The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Happy Fourth of July


Especially if you missed Canada Day. I hear last Monday was National Self-Absorption Day, but I didn't notice it because I was too busy (insert self-absorbed joke of you own devising here).

This is the Otterloop family celebrating the 4th in 2004, and if you've been reading this week's daily strips you'll see they did it much the same way this year. Our old neighborhood in Gaithersburg had the small-child-on-a-bike parade, with all the attending parents and a fire truck that hung around until a local fireworks accident would call it to duty. And some guy on stilts would always show up wearing an Uncle Sam hat. I never saw him any other time, so he was probably a ringer brought in from outside the neighborhood to enliven the parade.

This year we're going down to the Mall in DC for the first time in years to watch the fireworks and visit the Folk Life Festival. And probably visit at least one museum too when it starts to rain.

7 comments:

here today, gone tomorrow said...

I would like to request a cartoon by you featuring the endless miles of temporary fencing they put up every year along the GW Parkway for the 4th. I know you could do something supremely weird with that...like how often the fencing crosses over Glebe Road?

Unknown said...

By what twisted sorcery do your comics make me want to be a parent?

Woodrowfan said...

Well, this is most certainly too late, but if you try to visit a museum on the Mall today then Air & Space will be jammed full, but the art museums will probbaly be far less crowded. A hint for 2009. Hope you had fun.

Mike Rhode said...

So what did you see? I liked Bhutan in the FLF. At the NGA, the Afghanistan exhibit was really cool.

Rex Immensae Majestatis Chapman said...

That's freaky! I went to the Mall too, but I didn't see you. What are the odds?

Rex Immensae Majestatis Chapman said...

[I have no idea what you look like, but I assume I'd recognize you]

amphimacer said...

Being Canadian, I did not miss Canada Day, but still sought out Cul de Sac on line. The Toronto Star recently carried it for a few short weeks, instead of Doonesbury reruns, and I am now hooked, even though they have returned to Doonesbury now. Nothing against Mr. Trudeau -- it is a cruel world that does not give me both on my subway ride to work. Perhaps I am too self-absorbed to care about things like space limitations and such, but C de S ought to be everywhere. I am telling everyone I know, and reading them bits, so that you will become famous in Canada. Watch out! We are polite! We may greet you nicely if you visit us!