The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Today's Cul de Sac, May 26, 2012

I've wanted to use this gag for a while and couldn't figure out how to present it. I'd planned it to be a Sunday strip and that's why I was having trouble. A Sunday page provides a bit more room to play with the layout and sometimes that's more of a distraction than an opportunity. In other words, I monkeyed around with the format so much the gag got lost, and it's a weird little gag. So it got moved to a daily which simplified it into coherency. The lesson we all learn from this is: Stop monkeying around when you don't have to. Life's hard enough as it is.

6 comments:

Laurie Lindop said...

I could easily see it being a Sunday post if the crazy kiddy slide filled up more space. So I guess I'm wondering, just from an artistic standpoint, if you have to plan Sunday strips so they make sense to the readers who don't follow your comic day by day? (Those poorly misinformed folk.) Or do you just assume we know these wonderful characters and the conceits that repeat with so much delight? Well, just a huge fan who follows you very closely and logs onto Cul de Sac first thing every morning!

Greg Trail said...

I loved today's strip. And I could see it possibly working as a Sunday, but it's also great as it is now!

carl craig said...

is the one you showed the rough of is it after stacy curtis has tinkered with it or did you ink it yourself

thermoanaero said...

perfectly executed, especially with Dill's habit of talking through the mail slot. it's just like another dillism.

richardcthompson said...

Thanks, Laurie. I worried about going beyond my audience for the first year or so but now I don't. There's enough of a backstory out there that they can figure it out, I hope.

Thanks, Greg!


Carl, this one was inked by me. I usually only post the finals when I've inked them because I've also got the hi res scans.

Thanks, thermoanaero! Yeah, Dill's intrusive, to say the least.

Unknown said...

*grin*