You may be wondering, "How can I best celebrate this festive day?" You might consider:
- Finding a cartoonist near you and mowing his (or her) lawn, at least the front lawn (especially the hard part with the hill).
- While you're at it trim his shrubs, so the mailman can find his front door again.
- I'll bet he needs a haircut pretty bad.
- Does his house need vacuuming? Well, what are you waiting for?
- Who left all these dishes in the sink?
- The cats; somebody feed the cats.
- Are you handy with a pen? Ink some cartoons for him!
- You could take him to lunch at the Mexican place down the street, where they're having some no doubt cartoonist-related celebration.
- For God's sake laugh at his cartoons. If they appear in a newspaper, buy extra copies (or multiple subscriptions, even) and laugh at them too.
- Is he not posting anything new on his stupid blog and it's driving you crazy? You should send him a cheerful card stuffed with cash to inspire him.
Note: if the cartoonist near you is a lady, please substitute "her" for "his". The original of the cartoon reproduced above is in the collection of the fabulous Mr. Jef Mallett, so this is a scan of the Almanac book page. And it's the same one I ran last year, and the year before, if it looks familiar.