The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Monday, August 30, 2010

Today's Cul de Sac, August 30 2010

I felt bad about the Otterloops not getting a vacation this year so I squeezed one in. Their last two trips to Geek's Neck were much more extensive, in part because I've always found beach towns hugely entertaining places and fun to parody. In the early 80s I tried to put together a strip about a beach town called Geek's Neck, loosely based on some of the towns scattered along the Mid-Atlantic coast that I know, like Ocean City MD, or Rehoboth DE, or anything on the OBX. But it was a half-hearted attempt and I gave up.

And here's a Bonus Unnecessary Spot Illustration for Today, this one for an article about college kids trashing beach houses for Smithsonian Magazine several years ago.


5 comments:

Roto13 said...

I'm a little disappointed. I've really liked the past Geek's Neck arcs.

richardcthompson said...

Sorry, Roto, I did have a 3-4 day one in mind, but I ran out of Summer.

Unknown said...

Welll... It could be each kid's flashback while writing the obligatory "what I did on my summer vacation" essay. Totally different takes on the same trip.
Bonus points: each parent's recollection of it.

Love yer stuff, btw!
-Barb (@Merbrat)

habamom said...

Barb's idea is cool! I also liked the longer Geeks Neck stories, but thought this strip was so funny - this happens at our house every year... the last week of summer is jam-packed with everything we wanted to do and haven't yet. It means we're all exhausted going into the new school year (and then somebody ends up getting sick).

Mister Fweem said...

I just hope the ice machine repairmen still were able to hold their convention there this summer.