The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Monday, August 9, 2010

Today's Cul de Sac, August 10 2010

I like the idea that Alice is protective of Petey, maybe misguidedly, though she's right about the small wet cracker social skills. And that her concern extends to Kevin, though that's mostly an excuse to be overbearing. But I have no idea why they're making folded newspaper hats, a skill that's probably beyond most preschoolers (it's beyond me at any rate; I can only make a little folded paper cup).



Kevin was swiped from an old Poor Almanac that featured a roundtable discussion among toddlers. I liked the shape of Stinker's head, so I put it on Kevin. Unless they're one and the same, and Stinker grew up, slightly, into Kevin. I also like the looseness of the above drawing, the handful of stray lines that briefly formed to be Stinker. The lines in Cul de Sac always seem too careful, mostly because I struggle with making all the characters in the frames the correct size, a pretty basic necessity in a comic strip.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Richard, this is commentary feature you're providing is swell. Please keep it up! "Bucket head," ha!

Unknown said...

Um, I really really like that you post each strip with commentary every day. Please don't stop, ever.

My husband has a big bucket head too. I wonder if he could make a paper hat to fit him.

Tom Dell'Aringa said...

Yes, definitely don't ever stop, this is pretty great.

The Bug said...

Definitely enjoying this - in fact I will most likely to a blog post & link to your site so all my friends can enjoy your humor.

Unknown said...

Poor Kevin! He seems to be called "bucket head" by Alice a lot these days...
And I absolutely LOVE Alice's description of Petey!!!!! "Small wet teething cracker"--who else (besides you, of course, R.T.) would come up with a sentence like that????????????
Wonderful strip... and I agree--never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever (this word is now reverberating all throughout my mind)evereverevereverevereverEVER stop!!!!

Joyce said...

Absolutely love the insight into the origins of Kevin's bucket head! Please keep the commentary flowing!

paul bowman said...

Oh, Richard, look what you've started! What were you thinking? haha

paul bowman said...

p.s. Please don't stop.