The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Contingencies



While I wait for my memories of San Diego to return, here's a job I did for my friend Bono Mitchell, the Graphic Goddess. When watercolor works, it's the most satisfying medium there is (when it doesn't it's an invitation to homicide). For the ground I used one of my favorite mixes- Daniel Smith Quinacridone Burnt Orange and Grumbacher Terre Verte. The quinacridone is transparent and staining and the terre verte is opaque and sedimentary so you get lots of happy accidents while they fight it out on the paper.

As a bonus, here's a previous cover. To view the full series see this post.

7 comments:

Linette Moore said...

Reading this, I think that my palette could stand a little more divisiveness. I open that thing up and they're all singing "Kum-ba-yah". And Cobalt Blue can't keep a tune.

Fortran said...

When I saw just the first part in my RSS reader, I thought "New 'Cul de Sac' book!"

My disappointment was then replaced with jealousy at your amazing skills at watercolor.

Hinzi said...

Hahahahahahahahahaahh...

Wait a minute, which government program is this making fun of?

zero hour said...

thanks for the coloring tip!

here today, gone tomorrow said...

Mmmmmmmm....watercolors!!

paul bowman said...

Gee I really wish my industry had a trade rag with editors bright enough to use you for the occasional cover.

Sock about to be lost from the highchair kid's foot: sublime.

F said...

aha... great!