The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Monday, November 17, 2008

Hello, San Diego


I got an invitation to attend the massive San Diego Comic Convention next year as a Special Guest . My thanks to the kind people at SDCC, and to Jackie Estrada, who delivered the invitation. The only small hitch is that all attendees are required to dress as either Spiderman, Princess Leia, Captain Crunch or the Phillies Phanatic.


If you check the link you'll note there are some interesting names on the list so far, like the brilliant French polymath cartoonist Lewis Trondheim, and Pearls Before Swine genius Stephan Pastis, known as possibly the second handsomest syndicated cartoonist in America, if he'd only get his hair to behave. The guest list will eventually grow into the tens of thousands. I understand that there's legislation in the works that makes attendance at the SDCC a duty of all US citizens, like being on a jury, and anyone not an attendee will be designated a special guest, and that honor will rotate through the population until everyone has been heard from. So why wait? Go ahead and get your ticket today, and choose a nice costume.

10 comments:

Paul said...

I think that last photo short-circuited what was left of my adolescent libido.

nolanart said...

Wow, that Princess Leia pillow fight was a bit much first thing in the morning.

odessasteps said...

If you want to prepare for the crowds, just go stand on a train the Metro for a couple hours.

Personally, I stopped going when there were 60,000 people attending. FIVE YEARS AGO~!

But, the invite is very cool.

Hinzi said...

The first picture, I guess, is the anti prop 8 demonstration? And, yes, I also enjoyed the last picture.

John Read said...

Does this mean you're "too big" now to attend such little conventions as Heroes Con?
Love that New Yorker Obama cover, BTW!

Mike Rhode said...

So is Amy making you a slave-girl Princess costume too?

Trondheim! Now I'm jealous! Run out and buy the new book he did with Apollo, Bourbon Island 1723 right now!

Danny Fry said...

Actually, the crowds are quite a bit bigger in San Diego.

Thanks Mike! Now everyone has an image of Richard in the slave girl outfit!

here today, gone tomorrow said...

I don't know if I really want to picture you in that slave girl costume. I mean, I like you and all, but...

richardcthompson said...

Okay, we're all here having fun and someone has to spoil things for everybody. Thanks, MIKE. I'm just going to have shut this thread down right now.

Mike Rhode said...

Perhaps we should all start DRAWING Richard in the slave girl costume... just for practice, like.