The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

March

March is one of my favorite months. It seems to have more character than most months, with all the Lion/Lamb stuff, and during March the weather goes a littlte crazy. Which, as long as it's not too crazy, is just fine by me, especially as the Vernal Equinox hits around the 20th of March.

I did this Almanac poem to March about 8 years ago. The day after it appeared snow fell briefly in DC. It's the one instance of actual prescience I can claim. And I liked the poem enough to shorten it up and use it as a jump rope rhyme for Alice.



Here's another March poem which I falsely attribute to Carl Sandburg.

March comes in on Lion's paws,
Then more Sheepishly withdraws.,
Makes a big mess while it's here,
Drunk on green-dyed Irish beer.

2 comments:

Kid Shay said...

I will now always think of March as a clumsy, goofy giant.

I'm always amazed at how much writing needs to be cut for an average comic strip. This is a great lesson of that.

February will have to be a princess, because it's so cold you just want to stay inside, wrapped in blankets, drinking exotic tea.

richardcthompson said...

Yeah. And April's a big drip. And May is a cute & pleasant, but something of an airhead.