The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Mozart's Birthday


On January 27th Mozart turns 252 years old. Here's something to sing if you want to celebrate.

Speaking of oboes (see below), Mozart wrote some really lovely oboe music, including an oboe concerto, an oboe quintet and on oboe quartet. As well as all those symphonies, operas, chamber music, etc. etc. He also had a lively & filthy sense of humor and possibly told the very first Aristocrats joke.

6 comments:

DH. said...

Uuuummmmm, you mean January 27. It's my birthday, too :)

richardcthompson said...

Thanks, dh, I fixed it. And a very Happy Birthday to you!

Stacy Curtis said...

Do you suppose Mozart got so much work done because he didn't have the distraction of the Internet?

richardcthompson said...

Yes I do. If we were to turn this thing off we'd all be Mozarts.

But who buys that kind of music these days?

Patty said...

Playing Mozart is always a joy for this oboist. (I think, though, that the quintet is an arrangement. I'm not sure if Mozart did it or if it was arranged by someone else.)

Stacy Curtis said...

My favorite thing about the distraction of the internet is at least I can be distracted by some of the best artists on the planet.

Otherwise, the television would be my distraction and out of 50 cable channels, the best thing on would be "Dude, Where's My Car" and an old episode of "Designing Women."

Be my distraction, Richard.