The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Last Week's Cul de Sacs, September 5 to 11, 2011

This is all old news, but Oh Well; The Pancake Princess as seen by Peter Otterloop, Jr.
I'd drawn myself into a corner with the preschool play as I had no clue about it beyond the title and suddenly it was curtain  time. There's a whole genre of plays written solely for kids to perform as school plays and I've seen enough of them to've developed a severe facial tick. So I knew what to expect. But I needed what Petey might call a distancing mechanism to disguise my ignorance of the actual plot; in this case, Petey's POV was a great disguise. A technical note: the texture in Sofie's hat is a litho crayon, which I can't use without making a mess. Petey's neater than me.
A few alert readers pointed out the Kevin Bacon joke.  It was entirely accidental but I take full credit for it.
Miss Bliss's music cur look is my favorite thing from this week (apart from the Kevin Bacon joke).
Also the third panel, which refers to a strip from July 26. This rewards alert readers and flummoxes everybody else (great way to run a comic strip).
The happy ending.
The meta ending.
And the completely unrelated Sunday. Coming next: Adventures in a Perambulator.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was a great series!

I love how the strips that Petey drew had freehand panel borders. Nice touch.

naam said...

Really excellent storyline. Thanks for the looks behind the curtains as well!

Neil J Murphy said...

To've. A most interesting contraction.

Brian Fies said...

What a terrific week or strips, and I really appreciate the Director's Commentary. Thanks for doing this. And "The World of Tomorrow" definitely rocks.

Unknown said...

Ah Petey :)

Anonymous said...

Very nice! every time I read this strip I think peter is like my big brother, however I am alice...

Anonymous said...

This is one of the great blogs I’ve read today. Your site contains lots of good information and I’m sure many people will like it as I do. I would like to give this site a thumb up rating. Keep up the good works guys. I think I’m going to come back to this site regularly. Thanks.
xlpharmacy