The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Your Unnecessary Classic Cul de Sac for Today

This ran on January 2, 2005 and it illustrates a pretty common DC phenomenon: the First Snow Panic of the Year. By now we're safely past it and into the fourth or fifth of the year. One thing I notice in this is a somewhat flatter, scratchier style. And Dill's ears stick out of his hat.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That kind of reminds me of the school system here in Vancouver, Washington. I swear, they are such WEENIES! They close the schools for even the slightest HINT of snow! Oh, my God, there are snowflakes on top of the grass--the world will end! I grew up in a place where we measured the snow in feet instead of inches, and they almost NEVER closed the schools. Last day of school this year is June 22, because of all the snow days. My birthday is June 19. When I was growing up, I NEVER got to have my birthday celebrated in class because school always ended before then. And I bitterly resented it. Methinks Vancouver and Cul De Sac have much in common.

paul bowman said...

I'd never seen this one. Unnecessary is a purely relative thing you know.

Unknown said...

Oh wow, I remember cutting this one out of the Post magazine because it was so spot-on. I think I still have it somewhere in my parents' house.

Joyce said...

I've sat on that 270 spur too many times ... I only wish I was wearing Dill's hat while I did!

mike flugennock said...

Frackin' brilliant, Thompson. That pretty much sums it up.

(my verification word: croari.

APStraight said...

So happy to have found this! It was the first cul de sac my husband shared with me and we've laughed about it many, many times since... I am so happy to have found this!

And, it's good... and it's true...