The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Today's Actual Cul de Sac September 19 2010

At last, a post that's about a strip that's actually the strip in today's newspaper (where available)! And that's the problem; I hadn't realized when I drew this (at a table at the beach) that it would run on the annually tiresome Talk Like a Pirate Day. Arrrrgh! So it's an unintentional tie-in, which throws the randomness of Dill's dream a little off. I just meant to make it silly and fun to draw, the latter of special importance because I didn't have my lightbox crutch to lean on. Really,  you get so used to using a particular set of tools that it's almost paralyzing when you have to rough it a little bit. 

Dill's dreams have been featured a few times, usually in a Sunday strip where there's more elbow room for his unconscious.  Here's one from a year or so ago, and it's more of a nightmare.

Coming up- we try to bring ourselves up-to-date with the daily strips.

11 comments:

ranjit said...

Those are the most charming dinosaurs I've ever seen.

Neil J Murphy said...

the panel of Dill is disturbing, in a Little Nemo sort of way.

But the little pebbles trailing away behind the scooter, for some reason, give it an air of finality.

Unknown said...

I LOVE that drawing. This needs to be on a mug, or a T-Shirt, or a mousepad, or a blanket...

Unknown said...

Alice is a girl after my own heart.

Steve said...

ahhh... so that's why Dill wears a helmet now, just in case this happens again.

Somehow reminds me of Shel Silverstein's (?) "Where the Sidewalk Ends" that I was forced to read as a kid. I love it!

Kid Shay said...

Dill falling off the edge of the world is one of my favorite single panels, ever. Although now the dinosaur grocery cart is giving it a run for its money.

Robert Gidley said...

I check in every day to see if there's a comment about the day's strip. When there is, it's like the prize at the bottom of the cereal box!

Richard Fay said...

This morning I awoke immediately from a dream in which I had just driven off a cliff. I was in the exact position in space as Dill is in the panel. Thanks for reminding me. (The differences were: I was going around a curve, trying to keep up with a Ferrari, and driving a Lexus sedan).

Neil J Murphy said...

I would love to see Dill driving a Lexus sedan.

Anonymous said...

loved it! Lovely dream =)

Anonymous said...

My recurring dream is like Richard Fay's--doing off a mountain curve into the air, at which point I always wake up. Don't remember ever knowing what car I was driving, however!

Fran