The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Thursday, November 8, 2007

I don't speak Italian either


I wish I'd learned how to at some point. From what I can tell, the above is saying something nice about Cul de Sac for which I'm grateful, though I'd like to've seen them translate "Otterloop" into Italian. Mille grazie to Gianfranco Goria for this!

I tried French for a couple of years in middle school, until the teacher finally suggested maybe I'd like to try another language. So I tried German and had an easier time with it. But Italian, that's the language of art, music, love, food. And cartoons! Or as we say, fumetti.

One thing I do know in French is that cul-de-sac means bottom of the bag, and I only know that because Washington Post Genius Editor Pat Myers told me.

3 comments:

here today, gone tomorrow said...

Bravo!!

Gianfranco Goria said...

Hi! Maybe in Italy Otterloop (Outer Loop) could be the terrible Grande Raccordo Anulare in Rome. It's a ring all around the Capital where the cars run... well, do NOT run at all... I suppose just like in Washington DC...
You can see it here:
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grande_Raccordo_Anulare
detail here:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/Tracciato_GRA_nomisvincoli.svg/270px-Tracciato_GRA_nomisvincoli.svg.png

So maybe we should translate her name in Alice Gra. Mh... I'll think about it... :-)

Mike Rhode said...

It says, "This deranged vision of Richard Thompson's is inspired by a Dante-esque roadway merged with the iconic playfulness of Watterson's Calvin and Hobbes." Or something close to that.