The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Friday, October 26, 2007

I'm not in Kansas City anymore


I'm back, and I'm pooped, but it's a good kinda pooped. Above is a photo of the area where my syndicate has their offices; they're in the building at right, where you see two towers with lit up points on top, they occupy three floors of the right-hand building. The area with all the lights is called Country Club Plaza, a great place to stroll around and window shop. As most of the stores are high-end boutiques window shopping is about as far as I got. But there is a Barnes & Noble and I bought the Michaelis Schulz bio there to read on the plane and the Rest is Noise by Alex Ross to read sometime later. I stayed in the building at top far right, the square glass thing, it's a Marriot Something and it was hosting a convention of guys in ballcaps who backslapped anyone who came near. If you look closely enough you'll see me waving out of a 16th floor window. Either that or I'm inside the hotel room at the little desk finishing up dailies for Thanksgiving week so I can hand them in this morning, before I ride out to the airport.


Around the corner from the hotel is the Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art, with a terrific collection and a good cafe tucked into a free-flowing yet compact building that looks like it might take off like a silver aircraft, but didn't. The piece above by Tom Otterness called Crying Giant sits out on the lawn. The feet make me happy.

5 comments:

JoshM said...

That is a cool statue. I happen to think that no trip to KC is complete until you've seen the giant disembodied head of Charlie Parker behind the jazz museum.

richardcthompson said...

I missed that. And the whole time I was there I didn't have steak, barbecue, or really beef in any form. Next time for sure.

Mike Rhode said...

NO MEAT? Are you sure you really were in Kansas City? Absolutely?

richardcthompson said...

Fish and chicken, both very good, and a pizza that was great. Did I mention that Big Mac I had in Columbus that was unique in not looking like somebody had stepped on it? I did; ok.

Jim Borgman said...

I once overheard Lee Salem say that they always served platters and platters of meat when their star cartoonists came to town. Fish and chicken, Richard. This doesn't look good.