The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Saturday, October 6, 2007

Step #11 is the Important One


People sometimes ask me How Do You Do It? But for some reason nobody makes it past the 45 minute mark of my answer, where it's just getting interesting. So I drew this 20 step tutorial to cover just the basics. Try it yourself, you'll be shocked and disappointed at just how easy it is.

You can find the version with ads here .

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha! Is this available in a framed print?

Ponto said...

You're on a roll today, sir - there's this splendid cartoon, "Cul de Sac", your illustration to the article on house-hunting today, and all those amusing portraits in the obituaries, too. The hallucinations must be very good, this week.

Mike Rhode said...

The obituary ones are the best, aren't they?

arcticcircle said...

20 steps?

You are so much more efficient than me.

richardcthompson said...

Well, each step can take up to 48 hours, so I dunno.

Jonathan, sorry, it isn't. I could cut one out of the paper and shellack it to piece of wood really cheap though.

moquiti said...

20, 30, 40,
what the hell...
thank dog for the deadline!

I'll take one, shellacked.
Thank you.

Mike King said...

I am working from home doing annual employee reviews and found your "20-step" cartoon inspiring. I have discovered that it directly applies to the work I am doing - however in writing annual reviews one of the steps is to "Print out Richard Thompson cartoon and replace 'Drawing a Funny Cartoon' with 'Writing Employee Reviews'". Thanks for the inspiration!