The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Monday, March 11, 2013

On the Tedium of Pandas

I'd hoped to ignite a real controversy with this Almanac. At the time of it's publication, the Chinese government had just announced that pandas would cost American zoos 10 million bucks a pop for a ten-year rental. I thought it was pretty steep, given how disappointing my visits to the panda enclosure at the National Zoo always turned out. The putative pandas, black & white carpet samples posed clumsily on a little hill, just sat there, fooling nobody except for the hordes of gullible tourists who oohed and aahed and snapped photos, pretending they were witness to one of Nature's own marvels.

I'd always favored elephants, or a least rhinoceroses, both for their size, their smell, and their implausibility. Also, they're fun to draw.

But no controversy arose, and it's been at least eight years. So I'm assuming everybody secretly agrees with me about the over-ratedness of pandas. They just too scared to admit it.

11 comments:

talltaleradio said...

Living in San Diego, home of the most excellent San Diego Zoo...so I know from pandas. And let me say, I totally agree. Why we're wasting millions of dollars on an animal that should've probably died out a long time ago is beyond me. Oh, wait! They're cute! I forgot.

Mike said...

I cannot believe that this blog allows Mr. Thompson to perpetuate his ignorant and unscientific attacks on pandas. Pandas are NOT marsupials and if Mr. Thompson cared he would have known that. Pandas are a precious resource that must be respected and preserved, and such unwarranted attacks on this charming animal can only hasten the demise of our civilization. Please cancel my subscription at once!

conwayde said...

I have it on good authority, that the above poster, Mike, is actually a Panda in disguise. Boo, to surreptitious Pandas, those dastardly underhanded marsupials! Please cancel my subscription at once!

Mike Rhode said...

Personally I miss the midget hippo they got rid of a couple of years ago.

sdn said...

I much prefer elephants. They have trunks. Pandas are indeed boring.

Octavo Dia said...

I ceaselessly advocate the superiority of red pandas, so the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Washington Cube said...

When little Butterstick was born, I did a watercolor of his mewling self and invented a panda cocktail (black and white layers.) But...midget hippos? YES! And may I make a bid of interest toward the naked mole rat? A personal favorite.

Leslie said...

The Detroit Zoo has neither pandas nor elephants. I feel deprived.

gilda92 said...

OhOh! Toronto will join the panda group, the Toronto Zoo proudly announced: "As part of a long-term conservation partnership agreement between China and Canada, signed by Hu Jintao, President of China and Mr. Stephen Harper, Prime Minister of Canada, China will loan two giant pandas to two Canadian Zoos (Toronto and Calgary) for a ten year period. The good news is that Toronto Zoo will be home to the breeding pair for a minimum of five years, beginning in the spring of 2013. The pandas will then relocate to the Calgary Zoo sometime in 2018."

Mike said...

... because once the baby panda starts school, it will be much harder for them to relocate.

SonnyMoon42 said...

How DARE you mock the cute little Pandas? I for one am OUTRAGED! What are you, some kind of animal hater? (Just trying to stir up some controversy)