The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Visit to Tai Shan

This ran in the Post Magazine in January 2006 when Tai Shan mania gripped DC in a relentless hug. I'd developed an antipathy to pandas for no good reason and about the time the National Zoo was paying the Chinese through the nose to rent a coupla pandas I did a poem in the Almanac trash talking the lumbering brutes. I can't find that drawing, but part of it went "Pandas are boring, tedious and blah, Great big two-tone fuzzy cures for insomnia." It didn't do any good: the Zoo is at it again.

6 comments:

Ironmom (Julie) said...

Got my copy of "The Might Alice" today. It's for my son's birthday in August, but I'm (ever-so-carefully) reading it first. It's wonderful!

Agree with you on pandas.

Mike said...

So, what DID the railing taste like?

richardcthompson said...

Thanks, Ironmom! No need to be too careful - you can always buy more.

Mike, I'm guessing germs.

Mike said...

I just assumed you researched these things ...

capty26@aol.com said...

The railing pannel got me actually laughing out loud on a plane, cheers Richard:-)

Washington Cube said...

I loved Alice chomping the rail. Perfect memory.

I was doing a cocktail of the month on my blog back then..or was it week?...anyway, I invented a panda cocktail (black and white,) and did a pen/watercolor of the little Butterstick.

It was weekly:

http://washingtoncube.blogspot.com/search?q=panda