The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Today's Cul de Sac, January 10 2012

It's been a while since I posted one of these things. Let's see if I remember how to do it. I chose this strip to annotate because I redrew it 4 or 5 times. The middle panel gave me fits; it kept turning out too tidy, too stacked instead of heaped, too neat. The comics have a distinguished history of eyesore back yards, and front yards too, from Hogan's Alley to George Booth (see below), so I felt I had a tradition to uphold.

Each time I redrew it the dialog and the gag changed, Originally Alice is disgusted by the squalor and says Get me outta here! But there's nothing funny about that and it makes no sense; Alice is a slob with no natural objections to Dill's back yard. She'd more likely go home and try to do the same thing to her back yard. And, as someone who has a messy back yard, I've got no business acting all superior back-yard-wise. So out of great struggle and profound deliberation comes this Cul de Sac for January 10, 2012.

5 comments:

jdigriz said...

Love the atomic energy warning sign on the shed door.

chris said...

Did I ever tell you that I love CDS?

carl craig said...

terrific drawing of the boat i read that comic to my mum and she just couldnt get it she got really ennoyed that you cant see a box behind a box next to a bee hive that had an accident i found it hillereous. but if u get an angry letter in a month complaining about clarity now you know . i guess it just shows cds isnt for all people

richardcthompson said...

Thanks!

Carl, your mom's right- I should've made it clearer. Next time for sure. But I''m glad you like it.

Anonymous said...

A felt tip or technical pen just doesn't have the same amount of energy as a nib. I think the drawing in the middle panel came out great.