The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Today's Cul de Sac, November 29 Through December 7, 2010

Jeez, you turn your back for a few days and look what happens.
 They haven't used the Dress-Up Corner at Blisshaven and this may be why.
 I had this all lettered and drawn except for Kevin's last balloon. I wrote half a dozen lines for him but nothing seemed to work until it struck me that he probably looks a lot like his dad.
Alice's eyes go all blank when she's being given a lecture, like she's in strategic retreat.
 The giant Sauron Claus eyeball seemed good enough to squeeze for a few more strips. It fits Petey & Alice's darkish view of Santa as a semi-disturbed, judgmental demigod with multiple personalities.
 I wondered about that thing too.
 I so rarely get Alice's hair right that I'm always glad when I do.
 In horror movies, the unseen is always the scariest.
 I hope this is the last mention of Santa's giant eyeball, I promise. Except for today's strip.
 There.

6 comments:

Roto13 said...

I like the image of Alice peering judgmentally into Kevin's kiddy car.

SCOTTtheBADGER said...

God Forbid that Santa be judgemental, that is reserved for Alice and Petey!

Unknown said...

The Santa Panopticon is genius. And excellent use of "om nom nom" in today's.

Dylan Davis said...

poor Kevin! haha. I also love the Sauron Claus eye idea.

Kid Shay said...

I love the difference in Alice's expression between hugging her mom goodbye and when she makes her grim declaration about Santa's unblinking eye.

Leandro Correia said...

very good, knew his work recently, not quite mastered the English language, but I have translated, I admire your dash, simple and very expressive ...