The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Today's Cul de Sac, September 21 2010

I kept monkeying with this trying to make it funnier. The dialog got shifted from panel to panel and simplified so that it would read as a joke-like artifact, if not an actual joke. That's one problem with doing a strip where the actual jokes are hard to identify; humor is so ineffable that I don't know when it's been reached and I keep monkeying with it. I do know that mayonnaise is funny, so a lot of it's even funnier (Titanic Mayonnaise- Haw!). And I know that "ineffable" sounds like a borderline expletive, so I'll try to slip it into a future strip with Ernesto in it.

Since that paragraph was thin and unproductive, here's an except from an upcoming Cul de Sac, where I sell out with some product placement.

6 comments:

Ben Carlsen said...

In regards to your comment on "ineffable," I am reminded of the passage from Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency:

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."

I also agree that mayonnaise is always funny, titanic or not.

richardcthompson said...

See? All the good jokes are taken.

chris said...

this strip would be funnier with a big jar full of lard! Oh how I miss my mamaw's cooking!

Ben Carlsen said...

Oops, I hope I didn't stop you from using "ineffable" in a future strip... :)

Anonymous said...

I do feel bad for the fork on the table. [moment of silence]

Mike Rhode said...

Mayonnaise is named after the famed surgeons the Mayo Brothers. There's a little exhibit about it and cartoons at the Mayo Clinic. You could've been in, with just a little tweeking. Maybe a 'cures all your ills' label on the side...