The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Monday, April 19, 2010

Your Unnecessary Spot Illustration of the Day


This was for something, I'm not sure what. Either a Gene Weingarten column, a Joel Achenbach column or an E.J. Dionne column, no doubt about dot coms. Whatever, I like it. Mostly because the artist looks so intense, like one of those New York abstract expressionists or post-expressionists of the 50s who in photos always seemed to have the entire existential weight of the world on their shoulders. 

12 comments:

Ben Carlsen said...

Great stuff. Only one question: how does he see the computer in order to paint it? It just seems to be in a strange position... Don't know where else you'd put it, though.

chris said...

isn't he painting a hole to see the computer?

richardcthompson said...

It's supPOSed to be a DOT.

WWW .

Jiminy Christmas! It's guff like this that makes me a misunderstood ®£¥©ƒß¢€! genius.

richardcthompson said...

I just discovered this site-

http://www.typeart.com/special_characters.asp

fun, huh?

chris said...

You are a ®£¥©ƒß¢€! genius....looks like a hole to me! :)

Lesley Vamos said...

Love it!! The expression on his face is perfect ^_^

Tiffany prothero said...

Witty!! :D

Mo said...

Wait. Why is that guy painting Mickey Mouse's nose with a snickers bar?

Am I missing something?

PS: my word verification for this comment was "inglere"? Is that dirty? Now, I'm definitely missing something.

joe said...

I thought he was painting a spot

paul bowman said...

And hardly "unnecessary." Sheesh.

stacey said...

I got it! Thanks, Richard!

richardcthompson said...

Aw, now I forgot my whole point anyway.