The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Monday, April 28, 2008

More Old Stuff


This is a coupla years old. It's from a little series where Alice's parents attended back-to-preschool night at Blisshaven Preschool, and her mom found her still awake when they got back. When I redid the series as a daily this part got left out, which was too bad. I like this a lot, the colors are pretty, the acting's good and the situation seems true. What I like about it best is the black background; it was a grey-blue and it looked wrong, so I got mad and inked it all in. And then it looked fine.

Alice's parents do have names, they're Madeline and Peter, but somehow I've never mentioned it.

6 comments:

Mark Anderson said...

I can tell you as a parent and the husband of a first grade teacher, you nailed this one my friend!

Linette Moore said...

Beautifully done.

Mike Lynch said...

Just some great and true writing here. Lovely to look at as well. Madeline is one patient mom.

richardcthompson said...

Thanks! This is one of the few I'd put in a frame, not that I'll ever get around to it.

here today, gone tomorrow said...

Perfect.

BobKing said...

I am afraid of what lurks in the pitch black background.