The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Baseball


My younger daughter, who goes everywhere, went to a Nationals game today in their new stadium, the first in our family to make it there. We've all been to 6 or 7 games in the old RFK stadium and I'm looking forward to trying out the new place. I'm not a big sports fan, but sitting in the bleachers with a beer & a hot dog and trying to pay attention to what's happening on the field is one of my ideas of a good time. The first few games we attended I kept trying to explain the game and the stats, but kept hitting a wall of ignorance, especially with the stats. So we just watched and cheered whenever the Nats did something obviously good. And stretched in the seventh inning.

This was drawn for a special all-Nationals edition of the Post Magazine back in aught-five. Dad is explaining things to Alice, with probably the same level of competence that I did. But it looks like they're enjoying themselves. And, if you look closely, you'll notice they stretch in the seventh inning.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so beautifull!

Loving your Cul de Sac.

Saludos!
K

here today, gone tomorrow said...

I was all set to hate the new stadium, because I actually like funky old RFK very much - especially since it isn't named after a corporate sponsor.

But, I have to say, the new stadium is quite a wonderful playground.

Mark Anderson said...

Wowee Wow! That's just fantastic!

A LOVE how you did the crowd in the first panel! I'm so stealing that idea! :)

here today, gone tomorrow said...

"Mom! Are there bulls on the soccer field??" Oh my goodness, where do you come up with this stuff??

Kid Shay said...

Baseball! I'm happy baseball is back.

Love the view of the field from behind the family's heads.

richardcthompson said...

Thank you, Kioskerman, the work on you blog is beautiful, too!

Yeah, htgt, I liked RFK despite it's parking garage vibe. And my daughter loved the new place, especially the games they had to play and getting to run the bases at the end.

Thanks Mark! Any shortcut to draw a crowd is fine by me.

Kid, that view is pretty much drawn from life.